pointless post; I miss my slum area

Jumat, 11 November 2016
7 months has passed since I left my ugly ragged room in Pasar Baru Pauh. As the easternmost district in Padang, Pauh is quite similar to my village; they both have mountainous area and they both are practically a village. The difference is, Unand makes Pauh way denser and crowded. There are thousands of people studying in Unand and it makes the surrounding area economically and demographically grows. Every growing region has its center of development, the metropolitan area, the Gangnam district. And Pasar Baru is the metropolitan of Pauh. Well, when I say metropolitan, don’t imagine skyscrapers and bright beautiful streetlights. What I mean by metropolitan is that Pasar Baru has a lot of economic activities compared to other sub-district. There are dozens of food stands, a bus stop, several restaurant and stalls, internet cafes, photocopy kiosks, grocery stores, stationary stores. There are even cafes where they serve food other than nasi padang, and some of them are open until 11 PM. Trust me it is already very late for this small town.

I lived in a rented room in the slum area of that metropolitan. Did I tell you that my rented room is very ugly? So, there are 8 bedrooms, one kitchen and a small porch where you can park your motorcycles. No living room, no dining room, only a small hallway connecting those 8 bedrooms. Each bedroom is 3x3 meter square and you have to share it with one other tenant. Both of you have to do everything in there, sleeping, studying, eating, even your rice cookers are in the bedroom. These 16 (or less, if a tenant is rich enough to rent one whole bedroom for herself) people share two bathrooms. One of the bathroom is under the stairs, you have to be careful not to slam your head to it. They are dirty and slippery. The walls are also dirty, there are scribbles and shoe marks. The spider web on the ceiling is so thick it forms a shape of birthday ribbon decoration. All this pathetic-ness are located behind a big kitchen of a restaurant. That restaurant uses fire woods. Sometimes when we buy side dish to their place, they give us extra slice of rendang or gulai ikan, maybe because we are neighbors. But most of the time, they give us thick smoke and loud noises of the coconut grating machine. Almost every day, I have to use eye drop because the smoke. The noise of the coconut grating machine is super loud and annoying.

To make things worse, the rent is unbelievably high for its ugly facility. I have to pay IDR 250.000 every month literally for a square meter to sleep on every night. I was lucky enough to get a nice roommate. But the space is never enough, the air is never clean, and the water in bathroom annoyingly stop when you need it the most. Not to mention the electricity bill. Each of us have to pay IDR 60.000 on average each month. I almost lose my patience when I moved out. Seven months ago.
But now, I kind of miss that place and all its messiness. Home is so comfortable it has no challenge. I get slower and fatter here and I don’t want to be deceived by this comfort zone. I miss my slum area.

0 komentar:

Posting Komentar